Wednesday, June 11, 2008

119th Street History (A Prelude To The 119th Street Panoramc Scene)



One of the many things I learned in reading Striver's Row was the pressure to end some of the humiliations of segregation while Black America's was enlisted to defeat fascism abroad. I was aware of the struggles of the Tuskegee Airmen, but that was tame compared to some of the actual incidents of race wars in southern bootcamps. Above is a picture taken in 1942 on 119th Street. I found at the inmotionaame site Here is a link to a larger image of that site with more background information


I did some neighborhood exploring to find what that Double V site on119th Street looks like today. I wonder whether any of those people in the 64 year old photo are still there. I'm nuts enough to start knocking on doors to find out. Here's a link to an enlarged version of that image with some out-takes.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online